the book of jon

This blog is a tribute to a son, a fighter, a friend, an inspiration, a symbol of hope, a scion of unflinching determination, a child of the world who has touched so many of us in so many ways. This is for you Jonathan Byron Gan.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

It’s crazy how time flies. This year marks the 6th year since Jon left us. We decided to burn or “Set free” the paper cranes Lavinia so lovingly folded for Jon many years ago.  It was bittersweet because It seemed like burning something was like getting rid of it, like you didn’t want it anymore. But I realized it was not like that at all, it was about setting free just like how over the past years we released birds.









9.08.2012 – 6 years already brother. and not a day goes by I don’t think of you.

Everyday as I go about doing my own thing. I always pause and think hmm. What would Jon do today? “Aiya, he’ll definitely be taking out the Mini and drive his friends around.”  Or  “ Oh, Jon has his band practice today with Mubin and Danial, for that new gig they got at Publika. “ haha. Or “ He’s studying journalism over in UK. “ haha, oh well I miss you Jon. These 6 years without you have taught me that I have bigger responsibilities as the oldest in the family.  And that everything I do, before I make a decision  I think of what would my older brother do? Because honestly being the oldest is not fun. No one to look up to or talk to about stuff guys our age do. or just be bros and pick on each other. Well, that’s part of the journey without you. Miss you Jon. LOVE YOU LONG TIME.




Contributed by Zane and Summer



On the same night, Mum decided to burn the cranes made by Kelvin's friend Lavinia. These were made when jon was still in hospital receiving treatment. Burning the cranes symbolizes setting them free, letting JON's birds free. They have been ' caged ' for 6 years. So, with  Jon's pink candle for light we burned the cranes free. 'twas MAGICAL.


1 Comments:

At 2:36 AM, Blogger Peter Gan said...

Nice words young man. Very nice indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home