the book of jon

This blog is a tribute to a son, a fighter, a friend, an inspiration, a symbol of hope, a scion of unflinching determination, a child of the world who has touched so many of us in so many ways. This is for you Jonathan Byron Gan.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

11 Months On.. 9th July.



"Mum, you will find peace when you have truly forgiven yourself".

These words came as I was thinking of MUMs, going thru' in my head what I wrote would be it's foundation. I remember I wrote as one of the foundation's belief :

"Having the faith that with time, we will eventually come to a place of peace within".

You have so much wisom, son.

This was when I recalled the latter that Jon 'sent' to me and his papa. This is how we chanced upon it..

I alight the steep stairs of our pre-war office, to Peter's room. Cautiously. It's been a while since I climbed it and I always feel apprehensive. But today I know he'll be alone and we need to discuss some administrative issues.

I saw that he was busy looking at something on his PowerBook. As I sat down and before I could utter the first word, he said, "This took me half an hour to download and it's such perfect timing". He moved the PowerBook to let me see what he was reading. It went like this..

"Dear mom,
I know you're going to miss me, but don't think that I will ever forget you, or stop loving you.
Just 'cause I'm not around to say "I love you". I will always love you, mom, even more with each day.
Someday we will see each other again.."

Yes, it was a spam mail, part of it anyway. The story goes that it was written by a 7 or 10 year old boy to his mom, single mom. Like me, she was away when he 'left', and God loaned him a special pen and paper to write the letter to his mom, to say his last words.

I believe messages reach you at points in your life when you need them most. And sometimes you find them and they find you. Like books. And everything happens for a reason.

As we read, our tears just flowed freely. The letter was for him as well as it was for me.

And we know we were not alone in the room. Because I felt I was in a place of love, warmth, sharing yet private.

We love you, Jon. We will never ever forget you as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home