the book of jon

This blog is a tribute to a son, a fighter, a friend, an inspiration, a symbol of hope, a scion of unflinching determination, a child of the world who has touched so many of us in so many ways. This is for you Jonathan Byron Gan.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Jon's Birthday Today


My good friend Menon, called me this evening and asked if I was free for a round of Friday golf.
A trait I admire about Menon was that he was extremely religious about his golfing Fridays.
Friday being a day already filled with meetings, I politely declined.
My tenacious friend, (who I thank God for not stopping to pester me) then ventured to ask;
"How about tonight?" hoping I'd be able to join the boys for a drink.
"It's my son's birthday today and we're going out for a meal with the family" I replied.
" Oh..? that's nice, taking the young fella for a treat huh.." Menon exclaims, "How old is your boy?" he asks.
" He would have been seventeen today" I said a matter of factly.
The short silence at the other end of the line told me he understood. Then he quietly wished my family and I all his best wishes, prayers and thoughts as he finally hangs up.

As tradition would have it, we each get to choose our favourite restaurant for dinner on our birthdays and we would spend this special evening only with each other ordering whatever catches our fancy and thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

Jon, some years ago, picked Victoria Station as one of his choices and we felt it would be appropriate to go back there for him. And we did, the place was nice and cosy and adequately private as we went about our very private but very meaningful meal on Jon's birthday.
We shared memories of Jon and we kept it celebratory. We imagined how tall he'd be, how he would boss Zane around and how he will dote on his little sister. Jon's putty around Summer.
We realised that we never stopped sharing memories of Jon, it was a daily affair, we spoke of Jon often and frequently and with joy. As if he never left. And there's some truth to that and I mentioned it at our opening prayer, Jon will always remain in each of our hearts, with its very own special memories. And nothing can change that. Not even death.
What a great seventeen birthday it would have been.
There was no need for tears tonight. It was a celebration. It's all right.
Happy Birthday Jonathan. Thanks for having us.

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger agnes said...

It was a most wonderful birthday dinner even as I was quiet. Quietly taking in the moment of being there. Of being loved. At the same time, I had this song buzzing in my head. A song that I was hooked in the last few days. How I know what it means now.

"You'll never find another love like me, the one who loves you so tenderly..." beautifully delivered by Michael Buble & Laura Pusini.

The day started with a birthday prayer of thanksgiving to God, and a conversation with Jon. I did this in front of a burning blue candle. This left me tearful and weepy. This emo trip lasted till evening. I then got up to get ready for dinner. A wave of change overcame me as I was in my shower, and then I felt good. Really good when we left.

It feels good to be loved, especially when the love you feel is tender. From Peter, Zane and Summer, and Jon, even when he is not with us, physically. Unconditional love, which when it happens, does not even need a physical presence.

Happy birthday, son.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home