the book of jon

This blog is a tribute to a son, a fighter, a friend, an inspiration, a symbol of hope, a scion of unflinching determination, a child of the world who has touched so many of us in so many ways. This is for you Jonathan Byron Gan.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

One Year On


Blue Candle door gifts

On the 9th of August 2006, two weeks after his 16th birthday, Jon left us.
It has been exactly one year today. And as we celebrate Jon's 1st Memorial, I am reminded of Mitch Albom's words;

"Death ends a life but not a relationship"


Those words brought some comfort to me when I was seeking solace from my loss.
Today as we look back to our individual relationship with this young man who ran a good race, it only helps remind us individually that we each have our own race to run.





The event to keep Jon's memory alive was graced by our dearest and closest, Jon's dearest and closest, friends and family who walked the journey with us and stood by us unconditionally. We love you.

Shanti's sky



The special transparent canopy that Agnes ordered really had the stars in the skies gaze down upon the proceedings of the night. It was a night of intimate sharing , while we enjoyed simple catered food done very nicely by Chef Wong of Wong caterers.

Godma Ann
Summer,Mum &Pa
Jon's Angels


There were music and speeches by friends and relatives. Cousins Sean played some beautiful pieces on the piano for Jon as did Jamie.
At about 10.30 pm after mum's speech, we observed a moment's silence as we individually renewed our relationship with Jon as we marked his departure from us at that time a year ago.




Then there was the releasing of birds to signify freedom and a dove for hope.
It was 'Wonderful Tonight' playing in the air that night.
And I think Jon agreed it was indeed a wonderful night.



Thanks Ben, for your beautiful photographic compositions.

12 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger louisebah said...

Thank you Agnes, for sharing such a beautiful experience....

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger agnes said...

Prof Hany wrote..

Thank you. It is very poignant.
we have put your blog as a link on our society webpage (www.maspo.org.my)
take care

hany

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger agnes said...

Dr. Chong wrote..

Thanks for sharing the book of Jon. Reading it has taken me on a very emotional journey, and from what I have read, my first impressions of Jon were not wrong. He was a strong, passionate and caring boy.
Take care!
leeai

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger agnes said...

Jon Siao wrote..

Thanks for remembering me and sending me the link... =)

Will keep Jon in prayer and in thought, after all, his name is not very easy to forget on my part... Haha!

God bless,
Jonathan.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger agnes said...

Ling Orr wrote...

I have been checking Jon's blog since his anniversary! Looking forward to read it.

Love,
Ling

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger AnnLeeOnTwo said...

Dear Peter,
You did yet another incredible job at helping family and friends give a common shape to their various thoughts and laying the groundwork on what was important about this remembrance of Jon. The line that helped keep you sane is good for many of us to grasp too.

It was so enjoyable to hear about Zane as the chubby also-ran who got knocked out of last year's badminton championship only to come back this year as both singles and doubles champ (under 15) – and a handsome fella who can't stop looking at himself in the mirror. And about Summer who has grown even more poised now and has been cast for two commercial photography shoots (including one to help promote breast cancer).

Dear Agnes,
Your creativity and will to put this whole ceremony together is just another example of how breathtaking it is to watch you in action. You pulled off a beautiful ceremony, really, that was moving and cathartic for surely all of us. And your speech was very, very powerful indeed.

I look at you guys and know that when I think of Jon, I need not be as sad and strangely numb as I have been but that I can look forward to living with this Jon-shaped hole.

After all, he's still here among us.

love always
Ann

p.s. so good to see Prof Hany on line. There's another wonderful woman!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Rebel said...

Hi Agnes,
Thanks for sharing with me the book of jon. The pictures of his first cross over n comments given by his close friends certainly looks like a very memorable event to close relatives n friends.

hmm... so many Jon u know here...

Take care

God bless,
Jonathan Yong

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger agnes said...

Thank you Pearly for the lovely message you sent me..

I am thankful
for this special sharing
of limitless joy...
a blog crafted out of a mother's love
a blog that is borderless
for love to flow in, around it
I truly admire your strength
Thou stand tall amongst all women!!
Jon must be so so proud of you.
Jon smiles
Jon lives
Jon is
all that I see in you
Jon's mum!

Best regards
Pearly Phang

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger agnes said...

Dear Agnes,

Thank you for sharing your love and strength with us.

We feel you and we love you.

Lai Meng and Christie

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger agnes said...

Dear Agnes,

I am lost for words to express your love for your son.

I salute you for your GREAT love and strength.

May God continue to grant you the strength as you journey your fruitful race for Him.

Love always,
Shery

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Agnes and Peter,

Thank you both for sharing Jon's life with us. What little I know of Jon is through conversations with Agnes and from what was shared on the night of the 1st anniversary. There is no doubt that he is a great friend and a role model for all. There was just so much love that night and I am glad I was there. Jon lives on in all those people he has touched and influenced in one way or another.
You have 3 great, wonderful kids ..perhaps one day you two can share a bit of how to bring up great kids! Wink...wink Agnes...another project in the pipeline for you!!!
Love from me,

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger vid. said...

hey aunty agnes and uncle peter.

I'm so glad that we were all finally introduced. :).

Just wanted to say that I'm just as grateful I could make it for the memorial. I never fail to learn more and more about Jon as the days go by.

Thank you for letting me come over and share it with you. It really did mean alot.

And yes, I did leave you my phone number for a good reason. Don't hesitate to give me a call for anything.

I do look forward to get to know the rest of the Gan family ;)

Oh and did I mention how good looking all of you are? :)

Love always,
Vidhya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home