the book of jon

This blog is a tribute to a son, a fighter, a friend, an inspiration, a symbol of hope, a scion of unflinching determination, a child of the world who has touched so many of us in so many ways. This is for you Jonathan Byron Gan.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Teach on 10 Aug

10th August 2006

Wrote this on the night/morning of your passing to be with the Lord, Jon.
Dearest Jon,

As a teacher, my prayers for any child would be this, ‘Give me your hand that I may walk in the light of your faith in me.’

Like many others before him and after him, Jon did just that when he came to the V.I. He is an infectious student who fast became my friend. He always had a ready ear…he was/is a comforting old soul in a young body. I’d be having the most rough days at school when he would come up with the most profound things to say to me when least expected.

I was his ‘oriental princess’ – he is such a smooth talker – he knew how to win any woman’s heart…and I always felt he says what he says sincerely and not for want of more marks on his paper!

How our lives shone as our friendship and student-teacher relationship grew. His sprightly ways have a special appeal; his gait, his look of continual askance in class, his prompt willingness to assist when needed (was always volunteering to buy me drinks when I was out of breath), his gentlemanly comforting ways, his fight to the end for all he believes in…treasured and invaluable. I would not – WE AT THE V.I. would not have him any other way.

Jon is a warm personal friend to all who know him. From the many notes and messages his friends, acquaintances have penned…I learn more and more about him…, of him…as their valiant supporter in good and bad times.

In these past few months, I have seen Jon as a devout son, lovable brighter, nephew, cousin, grandson, godson, friend, budding musician, poet, lyricist, romantic and most of all – a God loving soul who is a fighting first senior scout, scholar, sportsman and gentle…oh so gentle man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home